Dark chocolate paired with mint and a creamy cheesecake texture? That is what this Dark Chocolate Mint Cheesecake recipe is all about. From the homemade crust to the sweet minty topping, every bite is pure bliss. This simple dessert is gluten free, keto, and sugar free as well.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of ChocZero. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
One slice of this decadent mint cheesecake really won't be enough. Thankfully this mint dessert makes more than enough to share. (Or eat alone if you want to!)
I love the texture of this cheesecake because it's perfectly smooth with a top layer of chocolate that melts in your mouth.
ChocZero Sugar Free Baking Chips
- They are sugar-free and don't have sugar alcohol.
- Soy-free, vegan, keto, low carb, gluten-free, and non-gmo.
- Each serving is only 1g net carb.
- Sweetened with monk fruit, which means no after-taste.
- They melt easily.
- You get 10% using my link and code 'joyfilledeats'
There are a few steps and ingredients needed to create this chocolate dessert but I can promise you that it's totally worth it.
Chocolate Crust - this tastes like an oreo crust without any oreos!
- Almond flour - Anytime I make a keto recipe, almond flour is always my choice. It gives the recipe a slight almond flavor.
- Cocoa powder -A simple addition to add a chocolate flavor and dark color to the crust.
- Joy Filled Eats Sweetener - This is my go-to sweetener when baking.
- Butter - Make sure that you're using unsalted butter.
Mint Cheesecake Filling
- ChocZero White Chocolate Peppermint Chips - A great way to add sugar free peppermint chips.
- ChocZero Dark Chocolate Chips - My favorite dark chocolate chips to use during baking.
- Cream cheese - Make sure to use the cream cheese at room temperature.
- Joey Filled Eats Sweetener - This is my preferred sweetener when baking. I do offer suggestions in the recipe card for alternatives.
- Eggs - The large eggs are the binder in this mint cheesecake recipe and are needed. To switch this out to a no bake recipe without eggs you could try replacing them with bloomed gelatin (like in my cookie dough cheesecake).
- Peppermint extract - Just a little bit adds a ton of peppermint flavoring.
- Vanilla extract - Rarely do I bake anything without adding in vanilla. It enhances the other flavors.
Dark Chocolate Mint Bark
- ChocZero White Chocolate Peppermint Chips
- ChocZero Dark Chocolate Chips
How To Make Dark Chocolate Mint Cheesecake
This mint cheesecake recipe is worth every step! It's such a great fall or winter dessert. The following steps are a shortened version of how to make this recipe. The full printable version can be found below.
Step One: Gather up all the ingredients needed for this Mint Chocolate Cheesecake.
Step Two: To make the crust, add the ingredients into a food processor and blend.
Expert Tip: This recipe is easiest to make in a food processor but can be made in a stand mixer, in a large bowl with an electric mixer, or in small batches in a blender if necessary.
Step Three: Wrap a springform pan with a few layers of aluminum foil. You will be baking this in a bain marie or water bath. Once the chocolate crust is blended, take and put the mixture in the bottom of the springform pan and press down.
Step Four: Bake the crust and let it cool.
Step Five: Meanwhile, mix the ingredients in the food processor to make the mint cheesecake filling and melt the chocolate in the microwave in a separate bowl.
Step Six: Pour some of the cheesecake filling into the pan on top of the crust and mix in the melted chocolate with the remainder of the cheesecake filling.
Step Seven: Pour the chocolate mixture on top of the cheesecake mixture and swirl together with a butter knife.
Step Eight: Put the springform pan in a large roasting pan with sides. Add hot water to the roasting pan so it reaches about 1 inch up the sides of the springform. Be careful that no water gets on the mint cheesecake. Place in the oven and bake.
Step Nine: Meanwhile, make the chocolate bark by layering melted mint and dark chocolate. I wanted this to look like Andes candies so I did a layer of dark followed by mint and then another layer of dark. As long as you spread gently the layers stay separate enough to look like Andes when they are cut. Alternatively, you could swirl the two together.
Step Ten: Top the cooled mint cheesecake with the chocolate bark.
Forget ever buying a cheesecake at the store again. Being able to create an entire cheesecake from scratch will have you forgetting that you can even purchase one anywhere else. Stop wasting time looking all over town for a gluten free cheesecake and make your own at home instead.
Chocolate Ganache - Instead of the mint chocolate bark you can make a simple ganache, with or without peppermint extract, and drizzle that on top of the cheesecake.
Peanut Butter - Skip the mint entirely and swap out the ChocZero Mint Chips for their Peanut Butter Chips to make a peanut butter cheesecake! Obviously, for this, you will not be using the mint extract in the filling either. You can add in ¼ cup of peanut butter to boost the nutty flavor.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cheesecake - Stir in some milk chocolate chips before baking and then add a few more on top when the cheesecake comes out of the oven.
Green Food Coloring - I like the subtle green from the ChocZero Mint Chips but if you want a greener cheesecake go ahead and add some food coloring.
Can you freeze cheesecake?
You can! This is just another reason that cheesecake is such a great recipe. Make sure that you wrap the mint cheesecake well in saran wrap and store it in an airtight container, too.
How do you unthaw cheesecake once frozen?
When you're ready to eat the cheesecake, you just need to remove it from the freezer and place it in the fridge to thaw. This will take several hours but it will be ready to enjoy in no time at all.
How do I know when a cheesecake is done baking in the oven?
The easiest way to tell is to remove it from the oven once the timer goes off and lightly tap the pan. The center of the mint cheesecake should have a tiny wiggle to it, but not much. If it has a ton of jiggle, that's your sign that it needs more time to bake in the oven.
What do you serve with cheesecake?
Cheesecake really is the perfect dessert all on its own but if you want to serve anything with it, you can whip up some heavy whipping cream and have a dollop of whipped cream on the side. You can also sprinkle on some extra chocolate shavings.
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 4 tablespoon butter softened
- ½ cup ChocZero White Chocolate Peppermint Chips
- ½ cup ChocZero Dark Chocolate Chips
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Wrap the outside of an 8-inch springform pan with two layers of foil. Spray the inside with cooking spray.
- Combine all the crust ingredients in the food processor. Process until it comes together in a smooth dough.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Melt ½ cup each dark chocolate and mint chips together in one bowl. Microwave at 30 second increments, stirring after each until they are 75% melted. Let it sit for a few minutes and stir until the rest melts Set aside.
- Combine the other filling ingredients in the food processor. Process until smooth. Pour ½ into the par-baked crust.
- Mix the melted chocolate chips into the remaining filling. Drop spoonfuls on top of the plain filling. Swirl together, gently lifting up the plain filling as needed.
- Add an inch of hot water to a large rimmed pan to create a water bath. Place the cheesecake into the pan carefully to avoid getting water in it.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325. Bake for 70 minutes or until the center only jiggles slightly. It will jiggle but will continue to set as it cools.
- Melt the remaining chocolate chips in two small bowls. Layer them on a piece of waxed paper or parchment. Cool until firm. Chop into small pieces and use to top the cheesecake.