This Mini Chocolate Chip Cheese Danish Pastry Recipe is a perfect addition to any brunch menu or tea time. This Danish pastry is the perfect two-bite treat any time of day. This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten free, grain free, sugar free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
There is just something about teeny, tiny pastries. Those are normally the hardest to resist because you can eat one in a bite or two. It's a lot easier to justify two bites of sugary pastry than twenty bites of sugary pastry.
The worst is breakfast buffets with all the cute little cheese danish, muffins, strudels, donut holes, and every other option not on my diet. Next time I'm going to whip a baggie of these out of my purse.
This is a great recipe for kids to help with. They can practice their counting skills by putting the same number of chocolate chips on each Danish pastry. You can see my little guy adding some in the pic below. Five on a Danish pastry, five in the mouth when mom isn't looking, repeat.
If you are looking for a complete tea party menu you can also make these:
To me, that would be a perfect meal. A little savory followed by a lot of sweet.
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 egg at room temperature
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ⅓ cup ground golden flax or more almond flour
- 1 tablespoon Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 oz cream cheese
- ⅓ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 8 oz sugar free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Put mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave one minute. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds. Stir. At this point, all the cheese should be melted. Microwave 30 more seconds until uniform and gloopy (It should look like cheese fondue. If it doesn’t keep microwaving in 30-second increments). Mix in the other dough ingredients. You will need to dump it onto wax paper and knead it by hand to thoroughly incorporate the ingredients or you can do this in a food processor with the dough blade.
- Divide dough into 36 pieces (I used a small cookie scoop). Put each onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Press out into a small circle using wet fingers. It is ok if they are close together since they don't spread much.
- Mix cream cheese, sweetener, egg yolk, and vanilla. Put into a plastic storage bag. Cut off one corner and pipe a blob onto each dough circle. Or just spoon a little of the filling on each. Top each with 5 sugar-free chocolate chips.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Serve at room temperature. If you refrigerate leftovers let them sit out for a bit to come back up to room temp.